10 Poetry Tips
Some people rhyme naturally
I'm not one of them.
I write free verse
it is the way I think.
1. Write your poems
by listening to your own voice.
2. Make every word count.
Extra words always take away from impact.
3. Use spacing
4. Just say it.
Surprise the reader and yourself.
5. Make it real. Make it authentic. Make it yours alone.
Don't write what you've read, heard or seen anywhere else.
Write what only you have experienced be it a sunset or love.
You are an original. Write as the only one who sees things through your unique POV.
6. Write because you must...because something in you needs to be made real. Because something in you needs to press the keys and see your thoughts and emotions appear on a screen...out of your head. Freed.
7. Find your voice.
The one that people recognize in less than a moment as you.
Write as you speak. Write as you think. Write as your observe. Write as you feel.
8. It is never a contest. It is never to win likes. It is especially not to be affirmed by others.
9. Hone your craft. Write. Challenge yourself to write every challenge. Record every moment important in your life. Some will fail. Others succeed. It doesn't matter.
Every time you write, you get better.
10. Take time to reread, correct, edit. Never be afraid to delete or start over another day.