Prose is legit
I think it would be awesome to see Prose incorporate some sort of ability for writers to post videos. Whether they wrote lyrics w/ music they wanted to perform, read the poem they wrote to the viewer, or share a chapter out of a story they wrote...you've just added a whole new level for them to express the emotion behind their work.
First, I would like to second what @EmilyReads247 stated in her post, about having a way to organize our works on our profiles. That would be so awesome!
Second, I think it would be cool if we could pin a post to the top of our “works” section on our profiles. On our current profiles, when we click the “works” button, it brings up a list of our most recent posts. I think it would be cool if we could choose to pin a post at the very top of that, and then the most recent posts are listed!
Third, sometimes I wish it were possible to go back to the very first posts we ever posted. Saying that, maybe you could add a button where we could organize posts from first to last, or last to first, or something along those lines.
Lastly, maybe you could improve the search engine on Prose.? What I’ve found is that you have to type what you’re searching for exactly right or else it won’t find anything.
Okay, maybe that last one wasn’t actually last because I just thought of something else- I realize you guys got rid of the Top 100 feature (for obvious reasons) but why did you get rid of the reader/scribbler/scribe/wordsmith stuff? I LOVED that! And I miss it!
After being here for a year, I give you my honest opinion that Prose. has changed for the better after all this time :)
Thoughts for Prose
1. No member fee ever ;)
2. Own Profile Page for each of us to explore their own unique styles
3. News page (especially good for newcomers)
4. More feedback from members - I am on another writing site where feedback is second nature and I tell you it is one thing that really keeps me going back there.
5. Featured Authors.
6. A page for tips / advice.
7. Competitions are fabulous but perhaps some more in line with 'the craft' of writing, for example 'write a scene that has more than two purposes to push the storyline further' or, write a scene with compelling dialogue.
8. An easier way to discover members and what interests them in writing.
9. I like prose I really do but I feel it somewhat isolates you from other members because we don't really get to know / see much about them.
10. A better front/landing page.
Cheers guys X
I'd love to see a portion of Prose have a game option. For so many, writing is a calling, but it's also a struggle, and because it's a struggle, it's something many people put off and put off and put off. Tricking your brain into creating great content by thinking about it in terms of a narrative and / or competitive game could jumpstart some truly fascinating and unusual stories. Authors could challenge specific other authors to duels, you could "fight bosses" and "level up" and unlock potions and special skills and badges and titles. Basically finding a way to turn the act of writing a story into a story itself.
It would also be great to have a few shorter, more specific Prose challenges. Rather than just say, "Continue this sentence" and allow it to be fiction, non-fiction, or poetry up to 1000 words, narrow it down. For instance, "Write a logline in 100 words or less ending with 'resulting in the death of the last dinosaur.'" (Etc) It's difficult when a challenge can be open to fiction, non-fiction and poetry because the forms are so different it feels like it's not fair to judge them against each other. Also, by shortening some challenges, it forces you to be far more creative in far fewer words. So yeah, category-specific challenges (and this can include genre-specific challenges), and micro-challenges (100 words or less / 2 sentences or less).
Also maybe a tab to see challenge winners from the beginning of time through the present with links to the challenges they won.
If I Owned Prose. . .
There are some excellent suggestions presented here, so far, a few of which I believe should be addressed:
1. A profile page with the ability to customize the theme and the ability to share more about ourselves and/or what we like. A field wherein a writer can express what styles of writing they are interested in, what style they use the most, and what draws them to writing in the first place, as well as the motivation behind writing some of what they post.
2. The suggestion of being able to post videos I like, but I believe I would amend it to audio at first. The ability to read aloud one's own work the way they picture it, so that others can hear it how it sounds in one's own head would be a powerful tool and a great draw to new users.
3. A challenging word game, like Word Soup or some such, would be a fun way to draw more people to the site, and would encourage users to not only spend more time on the site, but to write more, as well.
I do have an idea that I don't think has been mentioned here, however:
In the vein of Coursera and its ilk, this site could offer online classes in writing verse, fiction (plot, character development, etc), and nonfiction. This would not only be profitable for the site (it would help to cover server costs and future challenge payouts), but it would also help to better the abilities of writers the world over, which, in my opinion, is a cause worth pursuing. The more you help writers to improve their craft, the more chances you have of not only increasing the amount of published authors out there, but you increase the chances of someone becoming a famous writer and attributing their rise to fame to this site, thus drawing more would-be writers in.
Webinars are a great way to present online content with the feel of a live class at a fraction of the cost, and keeps the students feeling that the information they are being taught is "fresh," as opposed to "canned courses" (I just made that phrase up).
In addition to online classes, TheProse could host a live weeks-long seminar or masterclass on writing (believe me, there aren't enough, and most of them are exorbitantly priced). The reasons I stated before for the online classes hold true for live classes as well.
1. You should add a help and answer page so if people are having problems take the most common problems and use them in the help and answer page.
2. You should add in custom avatars and photos so people who don't feel comfortable using photos from google or their own photos can use the custom images and avatars.
3. You can add prose to computers so people who don't have phones can use prose on computers.
4. Tutorial so people who are new can use the tutorial so they can learn to use it better and add a skip tutorial so if they already know how to use it they can skip the tutorial.
5. Make it to where you can "live stream" people making the poetry and a comment section to where the can give the streamer ideas